Life is Belief & Struggle - Ahmed Shawqi

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Tallit Tales

Yair Lapid, leader of the Israeli party, Yesh Atid, came to a New York Conservative synagogue to give a speech. All of which isn't that remarkable or even unusual. Israelis, whether- religious, political, academics, come all the  time to synagogues in North America to give speeches.I have sat through many of these speeches.

What got me was the picture of Lapid  in the synagogue - I mean, really who wears a tallit like this?

I have never seen anyone wear a tallit like this.  I have been in Orthodox, Charedim, Yemenite, Perian and Conservative shuls, and no one, not even even the few women in Conservative shul who do wear a tallit would wear it like Lapid does.

I am tempted to say he must have thought he was talking to Reform Jews, except I am not even sure they put on tallit...but if they do, do they really wear it like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment